Two librarians are among a dozen Southern California school employees accused of taking thousands of textbooks using their districts in return for lots of money, paid allegedly by a Southland book customer, according to the Los Angeles County Area Attorney’s Office.
Some of the books taken from financially strapped community schools were resold to the districts from which they were stolen, investigators mentioned.
Book buyer and retailer Corey Frederick, 43, is accused of running the two-year plan.
The actual operator associated with “Doorkeeper Textz” in Long Beach, Frederick allegedly paid between $6, 000 and also $47, 000 to the school employees in return for materials, language artistry, economics, physical anatomy and physiology books.
A minimum of 7, 000 textbooks were taken from the Los Angeles Unified School Area alone, prosecutors mentioned, adding that simply because district do not have a process to track accounts, they cannot understand how many texts had been stolen.
The actual allegedly stolen texts had been resold to various suppliers, including Amazon . com, Bookbyte and also Follett Educational Assistance, the DA mentioned.
Law enforcement with the Inglewood Single School District first discovered the alleged embezzlement plan in their area. The investigation increased to include employees through the Los Angeles, Lynwood and also Bellflower school areas, officials mentioned.
Frederick is accused of paying out a total of more than $200, 000 in bribes to these employees, according to the DA’s workplace:
- Veronica Clanton-Higgins, thirty six, a librarian in the Lynwood Unified College District, allegedly recognized $14, 214;
- Shari Stewart, fouthy-six, was a librarian at kunne Crozier Middle School whenever she allegedly acquired $4, 200;
- Vincent Lightly browning, the now-retired Bellflower Unified College District warehouse supervisor, allegedly acquired $47, 728;
- Frank Fuston, 54, was a plant manager in the Inglewood Unified College District when he allegedly received $1, one hundred in checks and money;
- Sandra Williams, 58, worked being an office technician at kunne University High School whenever she allegedly acquired $34, 718;
- Denise Hillside, 57, worked as an office specialist at Webster Middle College when she allegedly acquired $4, 003;
- Dinah Goodlett, 53, worked being an office technician at kunne Locke High School whenever she allegedly acquired $6, 099;
- Adrienne Dozier, sixty two, worked being an office technician at kunne Venice High School whenever she allegedly acquired $12, 798;
- Sherry Calloway, sixty, worked being an office technician at kunne Audubon Middle School whenever she allegedly received $1, 191;
- Stephanie Baurac-Holmes, 48, worked being an office technician at kunne Perry Middle School and also Narbonne High School whenever she allegedly acquired $4, 675;
- Olalekan Animasaun, 37, worked being an office technician at kunne Santee Education Center when he allegedly acquired $21, 573.
12 of the thirteen defendants have pleaded not liable in the 37-count indictment, which was unsealed Thurs.
Each school employee faces a single felony count each of embezzlement and acknowledging a entice. Frederick faces twelve counts of embezzlement and also 14 counts of providing a bribe, regulators mentioned.
Much more Southern California Stories: