DNA fits enabled investigators of a sexual strike at a Riverside massage parlor to discover the pattern of a serial rapist, but getting those lab results took more than two years, according to..." />

Lakewood Community News


Crime Lab Backlog Delays DNA Match up in Serial Rapes

September 26th, 2013

GENETICS matches enabled investigators of a sex assault at a Riverside massage parlor to discover the pattern of a serial rapist, but getting those lab results took more than two years, based on Riverside Police.

After submitting a sample to California’s Department of Justice at the end of 2009, Riverside detectives were informed in 2012 of matches to 4 other assaults in massage companies in two neighboring counties, said Detective Aurelio Melendrez of the Riverside Police Department.

Riverside investigators already had security camera video of the criminal from their case. They acquired extra video from the victimized massage companies in Corona and from San Bernardino County, and at one point identified a suspect.

But his GENETICS did not match that recovered in the five crimes. As leads dried, Riverside Police decided to week the public’s help and Wednesday released excerpts from surveillance video from three of the locations.

The video depicts a black man whom detectives estimate to be about 40 years old, 6 feet tall and 250 pounds. In one video excerpt, he is observed walking with a masseuse back to a massage room.

Another excerpt shows your pet unclothed and peering out a window. At another point he can observed carrying a gun as he exits a massage business.

A 55-year-old victim had been severely beaten, suffering a broken shoulder and losing five tooth after she was slammed against a wall and dragged by her hair down a hall, Melendrez said at a briefing asking for the public’s help.

“We do have great images of his face, ” Melendrez said. “I have no question someone will identify him. ”

The known assaults dated back to the year 2003 and mysteriously ended n yr, though police suspect there might have been more recent assaults that went unreported.

The perpetrator has targeted businesses staffed in many cases by recent Asian immigrants who speak little English and could be reluctant to contact law enforcement.

“We are usually under no illusion that every one crime has been reported, ” said Riverside Police Chief Sergio Diaz.

Within 2006, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s investigators investigating an assault of a massage therapist in the city of Industry grew to become aware of a similar assault near Fontana in an unincorporated area of San Bernardino County, according to Industry Station Sgt. Dan Jackson.

Comparing DNA samples from your two cases, the San Bernardino Sheriff’s lab found a match. However , the DNA did not match any named samples in the california’s database, and investigators were unable to spot a suspect.

Three years later, after the situation in the city of Riverside, police are not aware of those cases outside Riverside County. Riverside’s DNA went to the state Bureau of Forensic Science to be compared to the literally millions of samples within the California Department of Justice database.

During the time, there was a backlog of weeks, if not years, in some cases. In The month of january of 2012, newly elected Attorney General Kamala Harris announced that the backlog had been eliminated, and that schedule cases would be handled in 30 days.

Riverside had been notified of the matches in April, 2012, as Melendrez said.

Beyond Business and Fontana, there were matches to additional assaults in Gardena and in the Chino area. But there is still no match to any determined sample in the state database.

Because GENETICS samples of all arrested felony suspects are taken as part of the booking procedure, this means the serial perpetrator is not arrested for a felony in Ca for at least a decade.

It appeared to Melendrez that the perpetrator has been able to “compartmentalize” his assaults and otherwise prospect a life that does not draw suspicion.

It is also possible the perpetrator has left Ca, Melendrez said. Riverside Police had taken some social media criticism right after announcing Tuesday that video and still images would be released a day later on.

Several felt the department should have immediately released whatever it had. In the news briefing, the department mentioned the absence of recent cases, and said there was no imminent public safety threat that demanded an immediate release.

Some images of the perpetrator had in fact been released previously regarding the individual cases, Melendrez said.

More Southern California Stories:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *